Thursday, September 16, 2010

The List

In July of this year, I turned 39. "I'm one year away from 40," I thought. And then I started evaluating my life and my lifestyle and thinking about whether or not I'm where I thought I'd be at this age, at this stage in my life. There are lots of things on my mental "list" of things to do before I die (don't call it a "Bucket List" or I'll puke), but most of those things involve travel - things I want to see, places I want to visit - sites to see before I'm too old and rickety to see them. Like the Hagia Sophia. I have to see that! (It's widely considered to be one of the Seven Wonders of the World and now my friend Anne lives in Istanbul! NO EXCUSES!)

Anyway, so I made a list. It's a shorter, more attainable inventory of little enjoyments that I can and would like to achieve before I turn 40 - a record of 40 items I've thought about again and again that I can be happy I finally did (or did again!) when my birthday rolls around again. So far, two months in, I've crossed five items off the list and several are in progress. Not too shabby!

1.   Finish a paint-by-numbers painting
2.   Take a class to learn to do something creative
3.   Paint the hallway
4.   Paint the walk-in closet The paint colors are selected, now to find the time for this MAJOR undertaking!
5.   Host a party at my house
6.   Meet and maintain my weight-loss goal I've lost 13 lbs. and I'm currently 10 lbs. away from goal
7.   Commit to going to the gym two times per week In progress and going strong!
8.   Go bowling
9.   Rent a boat for the day
10. Frame the Memphis/San Francisco postcards I've collected  Hung in my kitchen
11. Take a photo every day in progress, but moving slowly
12. Update my résumé
13. Re-pot my cactus garden
14. Visit my grandmother in California
15. Eat a banana to see if I still hate them Tastes change. Right?
16. Reduce my shoe collection to 40 pairs I couldn’t live without
17. Volunteer
18. Meet with a financial advisor
19. Go to the Memphis Farmers Market
20. Ride my bike
21. Read 10 books
22. Pay off credit card debt
23. Get a new tattoo The design is selected, but where do I want it?
24. Go to a cheese tasting
25. Write out a will
26. Ice skate or roller skate
27. Go to a dermatologist
28. Get a mammogram
29. Blow bubbles Completed on my front porch one evening while sipping champagne!
30. Wear a bikini in public
31. Wear sunscreen daily In progress
32. Take my vitamins In progress
33. Seriously evaluate creating a second source of income
34. Learn to apply false eyelashes
35. Write a love letter
36. Walk or run a 5k for charity
37. Ride a ferris wheel
38. Ride a roller coaster
39. Watch the rest of the “Best Picture” Oscar-winning films
40. Buy an original piece of art I chose a print of an original painting by a Portland artist that I love. Once framed, it'll go perfectly in the newly-painted (see # 4, above) closet.

No comments: